Wednesday, June 10, 2009

This is a letter I sent out for my Kingdom Assignment

Dear Friends:

As you may know, this past year I was heavily involved in the teenager ministry at our church, Ponte Vedra Presbyterian. I became a "Salt Life" leader of 6 girls with whom I quickly bonded and fell in love. They are just your normal teenagers struggling through issues our generation could not even imagine....extreme body self-image, drugs, sex, drinking, constant connection with technology devices, sexting, etc. During our time together, they slowly opened up and shared their life as I did with them. They are just like sponges and I can tell you...you want them soaking up the right stuff!!!!

One girl in particular, "M"., touched my heart and soul. Her mom is really not in the picture or involved in her life and she lives with her father and brother in a rented house in Ponte Vedra. She's a lovely girl with long, blond hair and infectious smile. We quickly connected. So, when it came time earlier this year to sign up for the yearly youth camp, I was excited to spend more time with her and the other girls as this was the high school camp they would be attending since they are rising 9th graders.

As you can imagine, the economic situation has made it very difficult for many to attend, including "M". She said "there is no way my Dad could afford it." I respected her maturity in dealing with this disappointment and did not press the issue. However, a few weeks ago, at our church's 20 year anniversary celebration, we had a guest pastor, Denny Bellesi, from California who asked for 50 volunteers to come forward. Both Bill and I left our seats and joined the other 48 people. Mr. Bellesi then proceeded to hand us each a crisp $100 bill! We were stunned to say the least...as was the congregation!

He quickly explained that:

#1) this was not our money but God's;
#2) we were trusted to invest the money in a way that would extend God's kingdom; and
#3) to report to our congregation in 90 days how the money was used.

I was so excited about this adventure, and began to pray about how God could use this $100 through me. I heard nothing....days and weeks have gone by.....and now, I know in my heart, I am to use this $100 as the seed money to send "M" to camp. We only need $300.00 more as the total is $400 for the week. I am asking you all to join me in making a difference in this young girl's life by giving her a week I'm sure she'll never forget and one that can have an eternal significance. No contribution is too small....$25, $50...whatever you can afford at this time. I know times are hard for everyone right now...including us! Bill and I would sponsor the whole thing, but I think with the timing of the Kingdom Assignment and this camp...it's beyond coincidence....and isn't it neat if we could join together as a group and be used in such a mighty way!!!!

I know there are alot of wonderful charities and causes out there much more serious and heart-breaking than sending a child to church camp; however, you have an opportunity to make a true difference in "M's" life. She will not only be with her other friends and trusted leaders, but hear the truth of God's love and purpose for her life...which is exactly what these teenagers need....a sense of purpose and destiny...including just being loved and accepted...and having strong, female role-models.

She does not know I am writing this, as she would be too embarrassed. I am planning on saying that the Kingdom Assignment is sponsoring her to go and including your name, if you wish. Or you may wish to remain anonymous. I am only sending it to a few, trusted friends right here in Ponte Vedra and Atlanta. I trust God will make this happen one way or another....if you could just reply back to me and let me know if you're interested, or need more information, I would appreciate it. I don't even have to have the money, just the pledged amount! It is somewhat time-sensitive however....we are leaving for camp on Monday!!!!! (I'm going too as their Leader.)

I would be honored if you would join me in this "Kingdom Assignment" for "M".

With a grateful heart,
Leslie

From: Leslie Flemister

No comments:

Post a Comment